Services Provided: Organizational Change Management, Leadership Capability Building
Client Description: A $15B office supply retailer was implementing a global ERP system and common global business practices, and wanted to ensure that the related business change was well-managed.
Project Description: Omega Point provided a team of senior consultants who worked closely with business leaders, ERP teams, and the internal organizational development team to:
- Facilitate work sessions with the client to identify the impacts the ERP implementation would have on the business
- Create strategies and detailed plans for managing the change impacts
- Create change communication strategies, plans and materials
- Coach business leaders and train human resource generalists on business change management methods and tools
- Create a Business Change Management Framework and Toolset for the client to use internally on all change projects
Results: The client gained significant knowledge about organizational change management, identified change impact strategies for managing the effort effectively, and were well-positioned for the implementation. Our work also resulted in key insights such as:
- ERP implementations are truly business initiatives (not just IT projects), which must be owned and managed by the business
- Process re-engineering is a key part of the implementation and must be addressed early in the process. The software will dictate process change and the business must be prepared for it.
- ERP implementation often requires attention to the organization design, and may require new functions, changes in roles and job descriptions, movement of staff, and development of new skill sets
- Governance of customer data, policies and decision-making are key to successful ERP implementations
- New business functions will often be necessary to achieve the benefits from a major ERP implementation